Today I wanted to share with you my two secret ingredients to make the best meat loaf ever, promise! First off, I have never cooked with ground beef and my meat eater hubby is OK with it. I always substitute ground turkey and and you would never know, it’s about the ingredients you add to bring out the flavors, not the meat itself.
Panko bread crumbs
Panko will soak up all of your flavors and you only need about half of what a normal recipe would call for since they will expand more then regular bread crumbs. Using panko, the meatloaf comes out much lighter tasting.
Secret #2 from my wonderful other “MOM” Heinz chili sauce in place of Catsup
It has a beautiful little kick to it, without being spicy.
Here you go, enjoy!
Dash of salt and ground black pepper
1/2 cup panko crumbs
1/2 cup milk
Bottle of Heinz chili sauce 1/2 to mix, the other half for the top.
1 onion, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch loaf pan.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients but only using 1/2 of the Heinz chili sauce and mix well with your hands.
- Place the mixture into the loaf pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour or until done.
- About the last 20 minutes cover the top of the meatloaf with the remaining chili sauce then returning it to the oven. This gives a beautiful glaze on top
Drizzle with a little extra chili sauce if you so desire.
They make the best meatloaf sandwiches the next day too!