DIY Chalkboard Cheeseboard Repurposed
Hello friends, thanks so much for being here, today I’m showing you how easy it is to make your own DIY Chalkboard Cheeseboard. If you have been reading along all these years you know I love a really good glass of wine paired with some yummy cheese. Over the weekend Ray and I were out with some of our friends for some amazing tapas. We were served one of the most beautiful platters of cheeses, jams, almonds and olives, it clicked right then and there what to do with a TV tray I had found at the thrift store. (I know crazy, I’m out eating with friends, I barely ever get out for adult time and my mind is spinning with how can I can duplicate this, funny)
I have teamed up with some of my favorite bloggers for a Thrift Store blog hop. Our challenge was to find an item at a thrift store and give it a makeover, who doesn’t love a good makeover!
What you need:
Painter’s tape (optional)
Paint color of your choice
Small detail brush
Smal foam roller
Soft wax (optional)
1. Clean and dry your tray.
2. If desired use painter’s tape to mask off the edges of the tray or you can freehand it.
3. Apply the color to all the wooden parts of the tray using a paint brush, you will most likely need 2 coats. I made up my own coral color by mixing paints I had on hand. By mixing yellow, a small amount of red mixed with white and orange makes for a nice shade of coral. The key is adding the color little by little until you’ve worked up to the desired shade, have fun with it!
4. Apply the chalkboard paint on the top surface. I used a small detail brush for the sides and a small foam roller for the rest of the surface. Let dry for 4 hours and apply a second coat.
5. Carefully remove the tape if you used it or if you freehanded it you will most likely have a few area’s where you will need to touch up.
6. I applied soft wax to seal the coral paint, I don’t think it is necessary but it will protect it over the years.
It is perfect for serving cheese, crackers, or any other delicious goodies you might need to label. You may place parchment paper under food items if that makes you more comfortable.
Now its time to check out all of the other awesome makeovers from 9 incredibly talented ladies! Be sure to click on the links below to see all the creative projects each blogger came up with.
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia (that’s me)
Thanks so much for stopping in today!
What a great idea Kristin. I love the tray and the coral is perfect. Glead to know I’m not the only paint mixer!
You know… I’m the one at the snack table asking about what kind of cheese and crackers are out. I wish all my friends would save me some time with a tray like this!
Oh how I love this chalkboard tray. How clever. I also love the color combo you chose.
Beautiful cheese board!!!! So smart! I need cheese now.
Love that shade of coral!! So pretty and functional too – pinned!
I am so in love with this project! I have a slight cheese board hoarding issue…yours is perfect!
What a great idea for that tray, it turned out great! I came over from Bliss Ranch to check out your Thrift Store Decor redo :o)
What a great idea Kristin! Love your custom coral color!
What a fun idea!!! It’s amazing how we are challenging ourselves with this monthly series. I’m now on the hunt for an old tray to do this with!
This turned out so cute! And I’m down with any craft that involves cheese!
You are so sweet, thank you so much
I have a question–I am frequently hearing about soft wax or some other type. I don’t know what these are and where I can purchase them.
Thanks and I love your tray!
Here is a link to the cream wax, I love it! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HQMDZHA/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00HQMDZHA&linkCode=as2&tag=myuncsliofsub-20&linkId=KZHE4ZVSKUGSKR2Y