Today I’m sharing my french onion soup recipe, it is the perfect comfort food on a cold winters night. Made with delicious caramelized onions, fresh thyme, smooth merlot and three types of cheese all served into a bread bowl, the best part is you get to eat the bowl!
Happy Housie for all the effort she puts into each of these blog hops!A huge thanks to
French Onion Soup in Bread Bowls
Yields 8 Servings
8 large rolls
3 large sweet onions, sliced
2 large red/purple onions, sliced
8 tablespoons butter
1.5 teaspoons salt
64-ounces beef broth
½ cup merlot
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
3 bay leaves
8 sprigs fresh thyme
Small bunch of fresh parsley
6-ounce package Gruyere cheese
3 cups mozzarella, shredded
1 cup parmesan, shredded
- In a large stockpot, brown the butter.
- Add onions and cook over medium/high heat for 30 minutes or until beginning to caramelize.
- Add in the beef broth, merlot, Worcestershire sauce, and vinegar.
- Bundle up bay leaves, thyme, and parsley and add to soup.
- Bring to a boil, then turn down heat and allow to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Cut off the tops of the rolls, then using a spoon or your hands, push down the center of the bread into the bottom of the roll, making a bowl shape.
- Bake bread bowls for 7-10 minutes.
- Separate cheese between all eight bread bowls and press into bottom, then bake for an additional 4 minutes.
- Slice gruyere.
- Fill bowls with soup, top with gruyere slices, then sprinkle paprika on top.
- Place under high broiler for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is bubbling.
- Serve and enjoy!
All of the ingredients come together to form the most comforting, delicious bowl of French Onion Soup you will ever eat!
There is no denying it, everyone will know how much love you put into this meal.
Today I’m joined by a talented group of blogging friends who are also sharing their Fall Recipe ideas with you! Just click on the links below the images to be taken to see their full post…
Instant Pot Split Pea & Ham Soup at The Happy Housie
Chicken Tortellini with Pumpkin Alfredo at Grace In My Space
Tomato and Goat Cheese Dip at My Sweet Savannah
French Onion Soup in a Breadbowl at My UnCommon Slice of Suburbia
Chicken Lasagna Soup at The Handmade Home
Easy Overnight Breakfast Casserole at The Turquoise Home
Butternut Squash & Sundried Tomato Frittata at Cassie Bustamante
Pumpkin Spice Granola at Craftberry Bush
Saskatoon Berry Muffins at Love Create Celebrate
Quick Sugar Free Applesauce at Aratari at Home
Mason Jar Pumpkin Pies at Modern Glam
Easy Pumpkin Dip at She Gave it a Go
Fall Brioche at Inspiration for Moms
Baked Apple Cider Donuts at Paint Me Pink
Instant Pot Pumpkin Applesauce at Cherished Bliss
Pumpkin Spice Granola at Zevy Joy
Plum Frangipane Dessert at Satori Design for Living
Pumpkin Pie Cream Cheese Ball at Tatertots and Jello
Pumpkin Spice Snickerdoodles at The DIY Mommy
Apple Cannon Balls at In My Own Style
5 Minute Flaky Pie Crust at Jenna Kate at Home
Pumpkin Spice Cake with Brown Sugar Glaze at Sincerely, Marie Designs
Pumpkin Cheesecake Swirl Brownies at A Pretty Life
Yummy S’Mores Cheese Ball at This is Our Bliss
Pecan Madeleines at Life is a Party
Thank you so much for stopping in today!
You can find more of my soup recipe’s below