Thank you for all your e-mails and comments. I feel blessed to have a whole community full of support,
Please forgive me for not getting back to anyone at this point.
During our annual block party, I was informed something was “stinky” in the bathroom. (our home is somewhat of the community bathroom during events) I placed a brand new candle in a glass jar and put it in the middle of the shower, thought it was safe. It ended up catching the plastic handle (3 feet above the candle) on fire which then spread. We didn’t hear the alarms as the music was on but I smelled the smoke. I ran inside, saw the bathroom engulfed in flames, yelled for help, grabbed the hose, and began to put the fire out. We are so fortunate the door was closed and the vent was on. The fire department said that was the only reason the fire didn’t spread to the rest of the house. Our fire alarms are also connected to our fire department so they were here within minutes and arrived while I was putting the fire out.
The fire dept checked all the walls in the house for heat and everything checked out OK
As I lay awake trying to sleep I realize What I am thankful for:
It was not a child that walked in on the fire I was the one that brought the candle out, no one but me has to deal with the guilt It’s just a bathroom No one was hurt
I think I have been so busy cleaning the small layer of ash that ever so lightly lay all over the house that I’m not sure that it all set in until today. I wake up and clean till I can’t clean anymore. We have had people in and out of the house all day taking pictures, writing up claims, giving suggestions, and re-testing walls.
This is just a tiny bathroom, I can’t imagine what people go through when their whole house is destroyed, my heart is heavy for them. I realize we are so incredibly blessed to have a house still standing!
You know the part that worries me the most right now?
We have lived in this house for 10 years, paid our homeowners insurance on time in one lump sum every year, never had a claim, yet we are worried we will be dropped, we have heard the nightmares, I subscribe to consumers reports, I’ve read the articles, yes I’m scared!
This is when I wish my dad was still alive, he worked in insurance for over 40 years, he would have told us exactly what to do.
I miss him.
Please forgive any grammar errors or misspellings. Just a girl putting it all out there for you, please don’t judge.
Update: The homeowner’s insurance paid for everything but our deductible and raised our monthly bill by $500.00