During our annual block party, I was informed something was “stinky” in the bathroom. (our home is somewhat of the community bathroom during events) I placed a brand new candle in a glass jar and put it in the middle of the shower, thought it was safe. It ended up catching the plastic handle (3 feet above the candle) on fire which then spread. We didn’t hear the alarms as the music was on but I smelled the smoke. I ran inside, saw the bathroom engulfed in flames, yelled for help, grabbed the hose, and began to put the fire out. We are so fortunate the door was closed and the vent was on. The fire department said that was the only reason the fire didn’t spread to the rest of the house. Our fire alarms are also connected to our fire department so they were here within minutes and arrived while I was putting the fire out.
The fire dept checked all the walls in the house for heat and everything checked out OK
As I lay awake trying to sleep I realize What I am thankful for:
It was not a child that walked in on the fire
I was the one that brought the candle out, no one but me has to deal with the guilt
It’s just a bathroom
No one was hurt