I have a fun tutorial on how to transform a plastic serving tray into a boho-chic jewelry tray using paint! Since gold has made a big comeback I had to incorporate it into this piece and love how it turned out. These would make for a great home decor piece as well, a catch-all at your front door, key holder, spare change, so many options!
It’s thrift store decor day!
We have some wonderful new bloggers joining our group so If you are new around here, Welcome! We get together on the second Wednesday of every month and share our thrift store makeovers. So be sure to scroll all the way to the end to see the amazing makeovers!
This post contains affiliate links.
I scored this cute little frog plate for 25 cents!!!
How to Paint Plastic
I always say there are three important steps for painting any type of plastic: prep, prime, and paint.
Clean your item thoroughly with warm water and mild dish soap, dry with a towel. Wipe down the entire surface with rubbing alcohol and allow to dry.
To help the paint stick better, scuff-sand the surface with 200-grit sandpaper.
Prime: Next you are going to want to prime the whole surface, use paints that are specifically formulated to adhere to plastics, I love Krylon spray paint that is specific for plastic. I spraypainted the whole tray white.
Paint: Use top-quality acrylic paint and/or spray paint designed for plastics. I used a combination of both.
After the primer dried, I blocked off areas with painter’s tape and added different colors in each section until I was happy with the look. You will have to do this in sections and allow for drying time based on the paint you used.
Once a section is dry, unmask the tape and block another section.
A few places ran through so I simply re-taped and painted over the run-off area.
Lastly, I gave it a coat of polyurethane to protect the tray.
1. Boho Chic Jewelry Tray – My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
2. Thrifted Child’s Wall Easel to Wall Decor – Organized Clutter
3. Sand and Seashells Beach Jar Idea – Petticoat Junktion
4. Refresh Bathroom Vanity Light – Shop at Blu
5. Boys Rocking Chair – My Repurposed Life
6. Coastal Coasters – Sadie Seasongoods
7. Upcycled Shutter Angel – House of Hawthornes
8. Large Farmhouse Metal Basket – Domestically Speaking
9. Outdoor Coffee Table Makeover – Our Southern Home
10. Easy Cake Stand – Reinvented Delaware
More Plastic Makeovers:
Thank you so much for stopping in today!